Originally published in Managing Risky Business issue Q1/2020
Liability claims are not very frequent to our program – however, they do occur from time to time and can be quite costly.
The bulk of these claims in our program relate to slips/trips and falls. Slips are backward falls, which are typically the result of a slippery ground surface (wet, icy or oily surfaces). Trips are forward falls that are the result of an uneven ground surface (missing tiles, potholes, walkways) or an obstruction (e.g. extension cords, uneven floor mats).
These accidents typically occur in a few key places:
- Building entrances, lobbies
- Hallways and stairwells
- Laundry rooms / mechanical rooms
- Outdoor walkways and parking lots
- 10 Ways to Reduce Slips, Trips and Falls In Your Business
- Eliminating Slip, Trip & Fall Hazards in Parking Lots
- Dealing with liability in slip and fall accidents
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!